Monday, June 6, 2011

Bad Advice from The Washington Post

 June 2, in the Style Section of The Washington Post, there was an article about buying “investment” piece furniture that is classic, will stand the  test of time and wear, and be the best “first” pieces of furniture to get when just starting out.

Baloney.

The prices on that furniture were appalling.

Let me tell you about what I just bought, classic investment pieces of furniture to adorn a condo in Fairfax county. I found a Natuzzi  red leather tufted sofa and arm chair for around $1800 at Hamilton Sofa and Furniture Gallery in Chantilly. I went back and special ordered two ottomans to match for another $600. And a beautiful painting to go with, a modern autumn scene rich in hues of reds, yellows, oranges, browns, greens, some blue and dots of black, stunning.

I bought a clearance dining room table, round glass topped with circular wood base and 4 chairs at Macy’s for $627.

And a platform bed from Ikea with storage drawers underneath was $300. Later a tufted, genuine leather headboard will be bought on eBay for $345.

It my rate I can furnish 3 condos for the prices quoted in the Post for one place.

You need the Queen back, Washington!

No comments: