Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Decline of People: Spending is "It"

It has occurred to me that one reason people spend money, think about spending money and then reflect on spending money is because people have become less important.

What do I mean by this? If you spent most of your time helping people, interacting with people, praying for people, being with people, there would be less time for this money thing. Isn't that what people used to do way back, let's say in the mid 1950's?

Just speculating on how and why people think they must keep up the shop/spend cycle has me wondering what it would be like if we  made room for more interactions with people in our lives than we do now.

One more thing. Thinking used to be a valued activity. Now, the speed of electronic communication has given us a handicap. I think it's not possible to live, process our lives and have quality relationships with people because that all takes time. We want what we want with the click of a mouse or the touch of an icon. Our minds don't work that fast. 

This weekend, take a few hours to "think." I like to go into a "deep think" to process what I am doing, what I should be doing, what I should not do, what I like, what gets in my way, and my relationship with others. I'll be so busy that I won't shop. What about you?

Please send feedback.

No comments: