Monday, April 18, 2011

Luxury Defined

Rereading The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher on a flight home from Nashua, NH to Florida, I found the perfect definition of luxury. On page 377 she says, "Luxury, I think, is the total fulfillment of all five senses at once."

For me, if I could be sailing on the intercoastal waterway eating a takeout meal from Present Moment Cafe in St. Augustine, listening to Mozart or Nina Simone or Michael Boublee, smelling the clean salty air, watching other boats drift by, sitting with my husband, holding hands and cuddling, that would be luxury defined.

The cost for this experience. Probably $16 for the food and perhaps up to $40 for the sail, a total of $56. Once or twice a season is enough for me. I can live off of the memories the rest of the time.

A less expensive version would be bringing the food I make at home on a picnic at the ocean, say at unpopulated Flagler Beach, sitting on our ergonomic chairs that we bring from home, for an early morning breakfast to watch the sunrise, with just a few other intrepid early birds that walk along the ocean's edge. Cost to me? Whatever the food cost, less than $10.

What is it for you? Please share.

No comments: